Monday, August 24, 2009

Twenty.

Rian stayed the night with his catechist. The widow who cared for the bishop, her name was Nuala, made a shake-down for the boy on the porch off the cottage. The boy lay under a bison skin, his eyes staring heavenward, the stars distant and moving so slowly across the sky. His emotions were unlike the heavens’ predictable course. He cursed the end to his bishop’s life and lamented him, mourned him, though he lay not far away, dreaming, Rian knew, and piecing together memories from a lifetime.

Where there is life, there is hope. So we're told.

There is life, and will, and acceptance. The bishop had already decided, had surrendered almost joyfully to what the Lord had planned for him. And me? Rian wondered. Can I do the same?

When I was named, I saw the same star-filled sky and then the daystar and the climbing dawn, Rose-fingered, the Poet wrote, and I was spun. Past mountains and dales, ice flows and a green horizon of turf, the waving symphony of prairie, the parched expanse of a red-rock desert that sang with hope. And came the rains. And flowers. They cascaded out from bough and hollow, seemingly blossomed from air. And I took it in, so solitary my breathing was another life pressing against me and my shouts came crowding back in echoes.

But where were the ones I loved?

Was I here alone? Here in the center of a garden–I could smell the roses. I heard fountains. And then the light failed. Crushed rosemary, geraniums, mint...

And I was named.


“Rian,” the bishop called. His mind had cleared, had returned to the proper day and hour. “You’ll be late. Take leave of me now. I feel fine.”

“I know the truth,” Rian answered. “You would not have sent me.”

“I’m a fool, Rian. You have to go. See the wide world, while you can and while your life shines before you.”

“And the rooks?”

“I don’t know. Wives' tales.” The bishop stirred, his eyes now opened and he looked at the boy who now hovered above, his head crowned by the midday sun. “One remains. He’s met the master from your new school.”

“A bird?”

“A mystery.”

The bishop reached for Rian’s hand and told him, “You should know my truename,” and the tears welled up in Rian’s eyes and poured like rain.

“No one remains who knows me so well, failings and all.”

Still Rian cried.

Search me, Rian; I have no fear of dying. Face your doubts and you’ll erase them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment